People and Place

This blog is for the learning log and assignments for the third OCA course - People and Place

Saturday 15 September 2012

Exercise 2.05 – Standard focal length

I’ve purchased a Nikkor 35 mm, 1: 1.8 lens (equating to 52.5 mm for a 35 mm camera) which I used for this exercise, mounted on my Nikon D200 camera. I used a mid-range aperture for the majority of images as this provided an acceptable depth of field and allowed me to concentrate on the framing rather than have to consider the exposure in various lighting conditions.

I used the Egton Agricultural show as an opportunity to photograph people using the 35 mm standard lens. This event would provide lots of potential subjects and I was able to merge and disappear into the crowd to a degree.

I started at the large animal area, and captured this image at the sheep pens.

Exercise 2.05 01

ISO 100, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/7.1, 1/200 sec.

There are lots of people to study in this image. I think the main two are those with the flat hats – obviously farmers admiring their stock. Using a longer lens I would have been able to pick them out better, but with the standard lens I had to use the framing that was available from my vantage point (getting into the sheep pens would have caused some concern).

I like the way this image looks completely normal – no distortion and no changed perspective. All the verticals are vertical and the posture of everyone in the image looks right. Even the sheep look natural and unconcerned.

Exercise 2.05 02

ISO 100, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/640 sec.

Moving from the large animals towards the tents, I took this image to show the lack of distortion using this lens. The farmer closest to the camera and people in the distance all look to be correctly portrayed. Again, they look natural.

I’ve obviously been noticed by a couple of people in this image, but the closest farmer doesn’t seem aware that he’s in frame. With a wider or longer lens I would have been able to be ‘invisible’, but with this lens I’m more obviously ‘in their space’. I got round this by looking straight past them after taking the image, so no problems!

Exercise 2.05 03

ISO 100, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/30 sec.

The small livestock tent is my favourite attraction. This exhibitor doesn’t look too pleased about her rabbit’s performance – could it be one for the pot? The lens has again made an image possible where there’s no distortion in any area and the perspective looks correct.

This image (and several to follow) were taken through a gap in the cages – only exhibitors and officials are allowed into the judging area – so people in the judging area were unaware of my presence.

Exercise 2.05 04

ISO 100, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/125 sec.

I like the story that’s being told here. This guinea pig judge isn’t happy about an aspect of the presentation and the two exhibitors have no option other than taking the lecture he’s giving. The onlooker seems to be taking it all in but again, there’s nothing he can say. The judge is always right! I don’t think I’d have caught this instant with a zoom lens. The freedom provided by having a fixed lens means that the choosing of the focal length has been taken out of the equation, so all there is to do is frame and shoot!

Exercise 2.05 05

ISO 100, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/100 sec.

Here we see more deliberations by the judges. This image captures two distinct groups – the pair on the left seem to be in serious discussion, while the inspection on the right is creating some entertainment for the onlookers. Apart from the top of the cage at the bottom left (which is very close to the camera) the image is in good focus and everything looks quite natural.

Using a zoom lens I could have picked out either group, but probably with the loss of the moment in one of them.

Exercise 2.05 06

ISO 100, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/15 sec.

I’ve obviously cropped this image – there was too much distraction to the left of the view, which detracted from the scene. I was obviously noticed by one member of the viewing party, but not with any concern. The look of pity on the main subject’s face has come across well. I could have used a wide angled lens for this capture, but that would have caused distortion, and there’s none to be seen here.

I was pleasantly surprised that this image came out so well. Without any vibration reduction I would have expected a blurred image at this shutter speed.

Exercise 2.05 07

ISO 100, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/350 sec.

Back out in the sunlight, this image again shows how the lens keeps everything in the right perspective and distortion free. It gives a good impression of the spectators’ activity on the day, showing their movement between exhibition tents and stalls. It also provides different groups of people to look at. Even the dog has it’s place in the scene.

I like using this lens for this type of reportage photography – no consideration of the amount of zoom, just frame and shoot, knowing that the result will be a good representation of how the scene looked.

Exercise 2.05 08

ISO 400, 35 mm (52.5 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/2500 sec.

This image was taken at a higher ISO, as I was entering the Arts and Crafts tent where I needed this setting due to the lower light levels. I like this portrait – it shows the character of the wood worker (look at his scarred arms and those working hands), while showing the results of his craft. This puts him into context very well and everything has natural perspective due to the lens.

Exercise 2.05 09

Inside the Arts and Crafts tent I captured this conversation between a potter and her prospective customer. Again the potter is shown in context with her creations, still with her working clothes and clay ingrained in her fingers – dressed and portraying herself as the artisan. Once again, the standard lens has come good with no distortion or shortening of perspective. It’s a very easy lens to use.

I’ve learnt a lot from this exercise and it’s a lens I’ll use if I’m capturing portraits (particularly contextual) or when it’s essential to have no distortion / perspective shortening. It’s been a very worthwhile purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment