People and Place

This blog is for the learning log and assignments for the third OCA course - People and Place

Sunday 6 January 2013

Learning Evaluation

The exercises have made me realise the importance of assessing the different available lighting in an area. I’ve really enjoyed the aspect of using this light, particularly the internal lighting.

I realise I’ve used a lot of HDR created images throughout the assignment, but I think that if used sympathetically, this is an excellent way of portraying areas where there is complicated lighting. I’ve also found that the wide angled lenses are the best for this type of photography. In the past I’ve used the ultra-wide lens just for effects, but this has shown me that it has other useful applications, particularly when Photoshop perspective correction is used.

It’s also reinforced the usefulness of talking to people as the shoots progress. Getting people to buy into what you’re trying to do make it so much easier to allow experimentation and to make them feel more at ease if they’re going to be in the frame.

This part has taken much longer than I originally anticipated, but I feel it’s been time well spent. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it!

As an aside, this was the view I captured as I left the Baltic after photographing for the assignment – no post capture processing other than resizing and conversion to JPEG:

Tyne twilight

I love Newcastle!

No comments:

Post a Comment