People and Place

This blog is for the learning log and assignments for the third OCA course - People and Place

Friday 17 August 2012

Exercise 2.01 – Developing your confidence

I decided to use a sunny day in the school holidays to capture images of tourists in the old part of Whitby. These streets are packed with day trippers when the weather is right.

I used one camera (Nikon D300s) and one lens (Nikkor 18 – 200 mm VR) – travelling light to allow me to merge into the crowd more easily. Because it was a bright day, the camera was set for ISO-200, 3D matrix metering, to obtain the optimum balanced exposure for each image. I used dynamic area auto focus, so that I could use continuous focus on moving objects and keep the object tracked by the focusing. The shutter mode was set to High Speed continuous shooting, to allow a better range of images. The shooting mode was aperture priority. The lens was set to VR in ‘active’ mode for allow more rapid camera movement.

I had a spare battery and lens cloths in my pocket, but no other camera equipment, so no intimidating camera bag or tripod to put people on edge. Wearing only trousers and tee shirt I felt that I merged into the crowds pretty well.

Initially I took images on the Abbey steps, knowing that most people climb the steps as part of their visit. I felt quite uneasy about photographing strangers without their permission. The images weren’t varied enough for me – they were either grimacing on the upward journey, due to the exertion, or scowling on the way back down as they negotiated the uneven steps. Gradually I realised that no one had any interest in me taking photographs – they were only bothered about themselves – so that allowed me to just fire away knowing that they weren’t taking offence. With that in mind, I moved to the shopping streets.

I enjoy people watching and the best way to do this is by sitting apart from a busy place. I decided to keep in one place and let the people come to me. So leaning on a wall on Sandgate I was able to watch for potential subjects as they walked towards me. I selected continuous focus, so that having selected my subject I could keep them in frame and have them in focus as they moved. I found this to be an easy way to merge into the scene and no one gave me a second glance. I was becoming more comfortable with the job in hand.

It was evident that most of the people appeared to be bored with their surroundings and had glum, resigned faces – not the kind of expression I was looking for, but I decided to make the best of what I had to work with – it could prove interesting.

Exercise 2.01 01

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/6.3, 1/160 sec.

This lady wasn’t dressed or groomed like the usual tourist – she looked more alert and dressed to impress – and she was smiling! This made her stand out from the crowd. I got the impression she was going to smile and be positive in spite of the glumness surrounding her. She kept her eyes down and her smile set as she walked with purpose carrying what appears to be her lunch – maybe she’s thinking about the fish and chips in her hand!

Exercise 2.01 02

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/9, 1/320 sec.

Here’s the well-dressed tourist – loud shirt, gold chain, obviously a fish and chip connoisseur and he’s caught too much sun. His presence and attire shout “look at me – I’m doing it right and I’m on holiday” but his face is sneering, so it would appear that he’s not as jovial and happy as he would have us think!

Exercise 2.01 03

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/5.6, 1/125 sec.

Another bright shirt with a shiny hat, but does he look as though he’s enjoying his day at the seaside? I think not. Still, at least I’m getting more comfortable with photographing people.

Exercise 2.01 04

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/6.3, 1/160 sec.

Another well-groomed lady, but she’s not happy. The look is more one of concern rather than the disdain and boredom shown in the previous images. I almost felt sorry for this lady. There’s something troubling her which seems to separate her from the surroundings. The lighting on this image is better than most of the others.

Exercise 2.01 05

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/5.6, 1/125 sec.

Back to the boredom again – dressed for the occasion but she hasn’t found anything to smile about. I wonder why so many people come to Whitby, when they would obviously be somewhere else!

Having seen the gloomy faces in the old part of the town, I thought I’d cross the bridge to look for some interest on the West side.

Exercise 2.01 06

ISO 200, 170 mm (255 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/10, 1/400 sec.

At the end of the bridge in the sunshine I found this body painter concentrating on her work. I used a smaller aperture here, to keep the child’s arm and the painter in focus. At least I found another person who wasn’t glum – 2 up! I’d have preferred a softer light for this image and the plant leaf is annoying (I could remove it in Photoshop, but that’s not the object of this exercise), but I just had to grab the shot as it happened.

At the bandstand I settled onto an empty seat and again waited to see what transpired.

Exercise 2.01 07

ISO 200, 170 mm (255 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/11, 1/150 sec.

Fish and chips are what many people consider to be the essential part of a visit to Whitby – and you can never get enough, even when you’ve finished your own! You can almost see the watering in this lady’s mouth as she helps her husband with his portion. Let’s hope it doesn’t spoil her fingernails! I think the harder sunlight suits the subject’s expression!

Exercise 2.01 08

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/11, 1/500 sec.

The bright sunlight works well on this trader’s portrait too. Maybe she’s watching for someone to buy her beach toys, or maybe she’s weighing up the buying potential of the tourists as they walk towards the beach. Whatever it is, she’s concentrating on someone and just watching and waiting.

Exercise 2.01 09

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/6.3, 1/160 sec.

The driver of the steam bus has an expression which shows he’s resigned himself to another day of driving the same short route all day for another day – same as yesterday and same as tomorrow. Everyone knows that it’s a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it! Poor old victim!

I think it’s a practiced look – he was posing for a photograph by one of his passengers – but I think it works better from my angle.

Exercise 2.01 10

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/10, 1/400 sec.

But let’s not forget that Fish and chips are the main attraction! We’ve moved on from the old newspaper wrappers and now there are plastic forks, but it’s the essential of the visit for the majority of tourists (and it shows!).

Moving back to the harbour-side I found a group of local teenagers watching the activity in the water.

Exercise 2.01 11

ISO 200, 90 mm (135 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/320 sec.

I’ve reduced the length of the zoom here, so I’m closer to the group. There’s something going on that’s holding their attention, so no interest in what I’m doing. It gets easier.

Also in the harbour the tourists are catching dog crabs:

Exercise 2.01 12

ISO 200, 90 mm (135 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/320 sec.

As with the previous image, these subjects are so engrossed with their own activity that I’m not considered as I take their picture.

A whistle signifies that there’s a steam train arriving at the station, so I decided to try my new found freedom on the platform:

Exercise 2.01 13

ISO 200, 105 mm (157 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/320 sec.

They’re just disembarking. No problem here either – At worst I’m an obstacle in their path, but no problems about having their photograph taken. I can just get on with the job in hand and use the camera zoom to get the image, rather than keeping my distance with a longer lens setting.

Exercise 2.01 14

ISO 200, 200 mm (300 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/250 sec.

She doesn’t look happy, but it was nothing to do with having her photograph taken – just fed up waiting to get on the train (which she probably doesn’t want to be on anyway). So I’ve been seen taking her picture, but it still doesn’t matter – the pained look isn’t due to my activities and there’s no posing from her. It gets better still!

Exercise 2.01 15

ISO 200, 70 mm (105 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/320 sec.

Here’s someone else who would rather not be here. But also someone else who couldn’t care less about what I’m doing. It’s been a real eye-opener seeing how little people respond to a fairly large camera with quite a sizeable lens. So I can just go ahead and play.

Exercise 2.01 16

ISO 200, 150 mm (225 mm equivalent 35 mm), f/8, 1/400 sec.

This trio meant business and the leader is looking straight at me! Maybe I’ve overdone it here! But no – they just marched straight past me to their place at the front of the train. It seems that I may be invisible, so I’m on a winner!

By the time I took this image I was perfectly happy taking people’s photographs without their permission or knowledge. I took around 250 images in about two hours, without anyone caring or getting upset. It’s almost as though they expected to be photographed. Feeling this confidence allowed me to concentrate on their expressions and body language. Another side to this exercise is that I’ve looked more carefully at people and have seen that for the most part there’s very little smiling to be seen on the faces of people on holiday. What a shame! It’s a wonderful town with lots of interesting history, local trades, views and places to visit, but for the majority of visitors these aren’t part of the remit. It’s been quite an eye-opener!

I’ve realised that the majority of images I’ve taken are all at a fairly long focal length – I suppose it gives me a bit more room to run for it if required and it meant that I wasn’t intruding by being too close, but I did it to concentrate on the faces of my subjects without them being aware of my presence. I’m sure this will change as I get more exposure to this type of photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment