People and Place

This blog is for the learning log and assignments for the third OCA course - People and Place

Friday 17 May 2013

Learning Evaluation

This final assignment has reinforced the value of pre-planning. This planning incorporates the research, obtaining permissions, practice, selection of equipment / venues and post-production techniques. Looking at the work of others was a valuable exercise. I don’t know if it’d be wise to adopt any one of their styles, but hopefully I’ve been influenced by their pros and cons – this could also be classed as part of the planning.
It’s also shown again the value of interacting with the subjects, talking to them as I took their images and leaving in a positive frame of mind (me and the subjects). A satisfying encounter only improves future ones.
The value of having a brief has been highlighted here too. Having the brief made it easy to pull myself back when I was going astray. It’s OK to go astray to a degree, but having a distinct assignment meant that the photography could be brought back on track while still allowing the collection of additional material.
Printing the final images was a good exercise, meaning that I could become comfortable with the selection and rejecting those that didn’t fit in so well.
So all in all it’s been a worthwhile, very enjoyable and rewarding assignment. One that I’ll try to take forward into the rest of my studies.
After the rework I think the evaluation is still valid. I feel that some of my tutor's comments were unjustified and left me feeling angry and demoralised, but the course has been very worthwhile and I've gained a great deal from it. I still believe in myself!




No comments:

Post a Comment